Sitting in session the other day, with my back to the window, my client says, “Oh, my friend is out there right now.” My window is fairly high and difficult to see out of while sitting on my love seat, so I was curious to know how she knew her friend was out there.
Did she hear her car? Her voice? Did she see a shadow or did her friend wave?
I turned around, and outside of the window were these small bubbles being blown by someone from somewhere. I never saw her but my client got the message loud and clear. “I know you are in there and I want you to know I’m thinking about you.”
What Healthy Support People Look Like
I can’t be with my clients every day. (I tell this fact to my clients at the beginning of our therapeutic relationship, and something that I will write about more later.) That is why is it essential for my clients who are doing hard work to have good healthy people in their lives.
Here are the things that make someone a good support person.
- Someone who is not in their own personal crisis. They are stable and available.
- Someone who doesn’t try to fix my client. They know how to provide care by empathizing and listening.
- Someone who is older typically has more maturity and experience with life. This may not always be true but someone younger may not have experienced my client’s season of life yet.
- Non-romantically involved someone. Partners and spouses can be support people but they are personally invested and may put pressure on my client for their own personal gain.
- Someone with history. Its hard to truly know someone in a short amount of time. Those that know my clients the longest, and meet the other characteristics in this list, tend to become some of the best support people.
I'd love to hear from you, so leave a comment or connect on any of the various social media platforms.
Latest posts by Smart Therapist (see all)
- The Therapeutic Benefits Of Poorly Time Bathroom Breaks - February 23, 2016
- A Confused Mind Makes No Decisions - October 19, 2015
- Someone Else’s Good Idea - October 7, 2012