“Smart Therapist” isn’t necessarily a title. It’s really more of an objective or goal—something to strive for.
My name is Paul and I’m the editor and founder of Smart Therapist. I’m also a growing counselor, specializing in abuse recovery for both men and women. For almost 23 years now I’ve worked and lived in the Pacific Northwest with my wife and 4 kids.
I’ve also been in full time private practice since 2008. I didn’t plan on being on my own so soon. When the agency I was working for (and collecting a partial salary from) unexpectedly closed, I was forced to sink or swim.
Even though I lost a few nights sleep over it, I’m thankful that I decided to take the risk and pursue working for myself, instead of taking the “safer” road and working for someone else.
On The Shoulders Of Others
I have benefited greatly from the guidance and direction of other highly competent and skilled counselors (the original Smart Therapists). Who I am today is due to their teaching, support, and encouragement.
SmartTherapist.com is my attempt to pay homage to those that have gone before me and to pass on their knowledge and experience to others. In doing so, we all may get a little better at this endeavor called counseling.
A Few More Random Facts About Me…
- I’ve earned two Master’s degrees in counseling (because apparently, one just wasn’t enough).
- I’ve written and self-published two books… one designed to help men be better husbands, and an entire series on Codependency.
- I’ve run my own private counseling practice since 2008.
- I have a podcast series for my counseling practice that I regularly update.
- I do a lot of speaking and teaching on a variety of topics.
- I enjoy anything to do with cars.
How I Can Help You
Chances are, if you’re reading this, you’re new here. Welcome. I believe the best way to start out a new relationship is by giving (that whole practice-what-you-preach thing). I know we haven’t had the DTR (Defining the Relationship) talk yet, but I want to give you the Smart Therapist Manifesto. Just because I like you.